“You know — pansy for thoughtfulness, yew for sorrow, bay for glory, dock for tomorrow? Roses are for love. Not forget-me-not, honeysuckle, silly sweethearts’ love but the love that makes you and keeps you whole, love that gets you through the worst your life’ll give you and that pours out of you when you’re given the best instead.” — Robin McKinley, Rose Daughter
I always felt a little bit like Beauty from Beauty and the Beast as a little kid. I’d have dreams about that library that the Beast gave to Beauty in the Disney movie. I was convinced that was the ultimate Heaven in afterlife.
And, like a good little reader, I read every written adaptation of the classic story that I could find. Beast by Jo Napoli, Beauty by Robin McKinley (a twenty year predecessor to the above book, also by Robin McKinley). But when I came across Rose Daughter at the age of thirteen, I highlighted the above passage and couldn’t get her words out of my head.
I was inspired, from that age, to find someone who loves me because of who I am, not in spite of who I am.
As an author, that is the dream. I’ve always wanted to write so that I can reach the minds of strangers, and give them words to think about. Words to alter their perception of the world. And words to change them.
I cannot accept the idea that words are not the true source of any person’s power. Without the means of communication, we live inside our own minds. Without words, we cannot prick the bubble of self. Body language is limited, confusing, and merely supplementary to the eventual use of words.
This quote changed my life goals and gave me the courage to find someone who fearlessly loves. This quote showed me how a book can affect a person on a deep, basic level. An affectation that can last for years, and alter a person’s life course.
Is it any wonder that my greatest dream is to become a writer?
- Review: Sunshine by Robin McKinley (booksinheaven.wordpress.com)
- The Hero and the Crown – Robin McKinley (booklolly.wordpress.com)
- Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (strikeaspark.wordpress.com)
- Chalice – Robin McKinley (booklolly.wordpress.com)
- A Knot in the Grain and Other Stories (strikeaspark.wordpress.com)
- Gratitude: The writers in my life (writingsnippets.wordpress.com)
- The story behind Among Dragons (newauthors.wordpress.com)
- Monday Man: Constantine (emmiemears.com)